History

“A community forms more quickly, and possibly indelibly, when it has a roof over its head, walls and a kitchen”


Since the 1880s, when they first started taking classes at Queen’s University, women have worked with determination to gain higher education. They overcame initial resistance to their right to be students working for a degree. In the early 1900s women students banded together to live communally in various houses in Kingston. By 1926, early Alumnae built the first university residence, Ban Righ Hall.

They also built the tradition of Queen’s women working to “secure for those coming after them, access to all the resources of the University and the same benefits of communal life and study they themselves had known.”

The original and base funding for the work of the Ban Righ Foundation came from nearly 50 years of careful management of the women’s residences by the Ban Righ (Residence) Board and by the women students.

The Ban Righ Centre was founded in 1974 by women graduates of Queen’s University with monies earned and invested by alumnae who built and administered the women’s residences until the early 1970s.

All that it stands for

  • Some Notes on How Ban Righ Hall at Queen’s came to be and the Role of the Alumnae Therein

Founding Vision and History

  • The story of the founding vision and history of the Ban Righ Foundation, by Joanne Page

Founders

  • The founding members of the Ban Righ Foundation